Title and statement of responsibility area
Gladys McAndrew fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
15 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Gladys McAndrew was an active member of Christ Church Cathedral in Hamilton, Ontario and was very involved with the supply department of the Women's Auxiliary of the Anglican Church (Missions) for Canada and overseas. During her 20 years of service, she spent a brief term as the Dominion Dorcas Secretary-Treasurer. The Dorcas began their missionary work in the Niagara Diocese at St. Mark's Church in 1885 and at Christ's Church Cathedral in 1886. McAndrew assumed this position in 1943 following the retirement of Mrs. A.V. Lucas who had held the position for 29 years.
This organization assisted residential schools by raising funds to purchase equipment and supplies. They performed hospital work, prepared bales of clothing for distribution to underprivileged children locally, nationally and internationally and helped small, mainly northern or native, churches to buy furnishings, such as communion linens and silver, portable fonts, frontals, super-frontals, crosses, organs, and other items required to conduct services. By 1966 the name of this group had changed to Dominion Social Services, but their missionary work continued.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of correspondence, minutes, receipts, financial statements and details of the various Dorcas appeals.
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds (01-2003) was donated by the Alexander Gallery in 2002.
The material is arranged chronologically by year.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No access restrictions.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
There may be additional material in the <a href="http://library.mcmaster.ca/archives/anglican/niagara/christs-church-cathedral">Christ Church Cathedral fonds</a> or master file.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier