Title and statement of responsibility area
Everett James Case fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
60 cm of textual records and graphic materials.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Everett James Case was born in 1884. He grew up in St. Catharines and went on to become a successful banker in Toronto. Case later became involved with the artifact collection began by his father Charles A. Case. The initial collection was acquired through purchase and trade. The collection contains archaeological specimens from sites primarily in southern Ontario. Other areas include: Mexico, Saskatchewan, southwest British Columbia and Quebec. The collection contains 63 ethnographic items along with 810 artifacts. He bought various collections, including that of J. Hugh Hammond, Orillia barrister circa 1900-1912. When he died, the collection initially went to the small museum in Dundas, but was later sent to McMaster University via President George P. Gilmour. The Case artifact collection was donated to McMaster University in 1956. Choice items were put on display in Gilmour Hall, but in 1969 the display case was broken into, and many artifacts were stolen.
Scope and content
The collection consists of catalogue information for an archaeological collection, photographs, and research materials.
Immediate source of acquisition
Fonds acquired by Archives and Research Collections in 2011.
With the exception of the file about the University Library’s temporary custody of the Case and Rutherford collections (given to William C. Noble by Richard Slobodin), the fonds was acquired by McMaster University in 1956 with the Case artifact collection.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
The Case artifact collection is housed in the Ethnography Collection in the Department of Anthropology.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no access restrictions.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Box 1 – 3: binders containing a catalogue of indigenous artifacts, a binder of news clippings and articles on the archaeology of aboriginal sites in Ontario, and a file with a leaflet entitled “Archaeological Items The Ontario Indian in the Collection of E.J. Case”, 2 photos of trade silver, some correspondence, and photocopies of correspondence concerning the University Library’s temporary custody of the Case and Rutherford collections in 1963.
Box 2 – binder of photographs ("Indian Life", earliest photo is a cabinet card of Chief Seattle circa 1880), binder of photographs of aboriginal specimens (and sites), binder of drawings of aboriginal specimens and artifacts, binder of approximately 15 post cards of depicting aboriginal people, and 4 batches of negatives (1973).
Box 3 – Diamond Jenness’s Indians of Canada (1932), annual archeological report 1907 being part of appendix to report of the Minister of Education, and a small box of slides taken by William E. Renison of archaeological items in the Case collection (November 1955).
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier