Title and statement of responsibility area
Copp Clark Company fonds
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
Title statements of responsibility
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
10.8 m of textual records and graphic material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
The Copp Clark Company is best known as a Canadian educational publisher, with forays into board games and greeting cards. The history of Copp Clark Company can be traced back to 1841, when Hugh Scobie, a Scotsman opened a book and stationery store on King Street East in Toronto. In 1847 he produced the first edition of the Canadian Almanac and Directory, published annually thereafter. After Scobie’s death, the firm changed hands and names several times until 1869 when two employees, William Copp and Henry Clark, gained control, eventually giving the company the name of The Copp Clark Company Limited.
By the early 1900s, Copp Clark had evolved into a major educational publisher of textbooks, primarily in language arts and mathematics. As well as producing books and stationery items, the company established its own typesetting, printing and binding operations, branching out into games and greeting card manufacturing. In 1900 the company moved to a new office and warehouse on Front Street in Toronto, but the building was destroyed by fire in 1904. Copp Clark acted as agents for many American and British publishers and published works by such notable authors as Sir Winston Churchill, G.K. Chesterton, Joseph Conrad, Rudyard Kipling and Edith Wharton.
In 1965 the business was bought by Pitman Publishing, and the name was changed to Copp Clark Pitman. Copp Clark Pitman was affiliated with Longman (owned by Pearson P.L.C.), which purchased the press in 1985. Copp Clark Pitman celebrated its 150th anniversary in 1991. In June 1998, Copp Clark Professional, the only remaining division of Copp Clark, closed its office on Front St. in Toronto. Copp Clark Professional is currently located in Mississauga, Ont., and is a leading publisher of financial calendars.
Bereik en inhoud
Researchers should note that the fonds is fragmentary and incomplete, focusing primarily on the business side of the company’s activities.
Directe bron van verwerving
The fonds was acquired from Copp Clark Professional in 1998.
Fonds (13-1998) is arranged into 14 series: Historical; Board of Directors; Management Committee; Financial and Personnel; Service contracts; Property; Government; Publishers, agencies and subsidiaries; Royalty; Permissions & editorial; Publications -- books and other; Other companies; Miscellaneous and Framed items. The Royalty series is arranged into the following sub-series: author contracts; textbook contracts; royalty ledger and games; stationery & novelties contracts. Other companies series is arranged into the following sub-series: Canada Games & Copp Clark games; Cooperative Book Centre of Canada Ltd.; Hunter Rose and Mirror Offset; Sir Isaac Pitman & Sons Ltd. Fonds also contains six framed items.
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
In June 1998, a major donation of Copp Clark imprints (post 1880) was received by the National Library. The company’s nineteenth-century publications were donated to the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library at the University of Toronto in 1989.
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
There are no access restrictions.
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Further accruals are not expected.
Standard number area
Genre access points
Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord