Title and statement of responsibility area
Beatty Brothers Limited fonds
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
Title statements of responsibility
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
25 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
Beatty Brothers Limited was established in Fergus, Ontario in 1874 by George and Matthew Beatty. In its earliest years the company was primarily a family business involved in the manufacture of farm equipment. At the Toronto Industrial Exhibition in 1879, the company was awarded a bronze medal for engineering excellence. During the same period the two brothers also purchased the Grindley farm implement factory with water power on the Grand River. It manufactured reapers, mowers, straw cutters, land rollers, single and gang plows, and even stoves and cast-iron kitchen utensils.
From the turn of the century to 1961, the company continued to expand. Other companies were purchased: the James Provan Company of Oshawa, Whitman and Barnes of St. Catharines, Cameron and Dunn of Strathroy, Tolton Brothers of Guelph, Emerson and Campbell of Tweed, Wortman and Ward of London, Ont., etc. By 1928 the Beatty product line spanned more than 600 items. Factories in Fergus and London, Ontario employed 600 people, and a further 800 people were employed in Great Britain. There were branches and stores across Canada; by 1939 there were also stores in Australia and New Zealand.
In May 1961 the Beatty family sold their shares to Ralph M. Barford, Robert A. Stevens, and George Gardiner. In 1969 the company amalgamated with General Steel Wares to form GSW Limited.
Bereik en inhoud
The fonds consists of genealogical information on the Beatty family, programmes for company events, some financial records, annual reports, and a history of the company published in 1974.
Directe bron van verwerving
Fonds (10-1993) was acquired from Mary Raymond in 1993.
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
There are no access restrictions.
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Further accruals are not expected.
Standard number area
Genre access points
Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord