- 4 September 1921
Here Now and Gone / by John Horton MacIntyre. -- [19-] . -- Ts. of poem, 1 p.
Tae Bonnets O'Blue / by John Horton MacIntyre. -- [19-]. -- Ts. of poem, 1 p.
MacIntyre, John Horton
Bargain and sale by John Jones of Niagara [Niagara-on-the-Lake] in Lincoln in the province of Upper Canada, tailor, and Jane, his wife, to Phinihas Howell of Niagara, carpenter, of a tract of land, with all buildings on it, on the north-eastern part of Lot 30 in the town of Niagara for £294. Jones had the land by letters patent, dated 16 Nov. 1804 (registered 7 Dec. 1804 in Book R, fol. 351). Boundaries of the property include Prideaux Street and the house of Elizabeth Thompson. Among the conditions of sale, for ten shillings, Jane Jones agreed to quitclaim her right to her dower. Dated at Niagara, 29 Jan. 1806. Signed and sealed by John Jones, Jane Jones, and Phinihas Howell. Witnesses, A[lexander] Cameron and J. Macdonell.
Subscribed receipt for £294, signed by John Jones, witnessed by A[lexander] Cameron and J. Macdonell.
Endorsed memorandum of release of dower rights, signed by Robert Thorpe, justice of the King's bench for Upper Canada, dated near Niagara, 2 Aug. 1806.
Endorsed memorandum of enrollment in the register, dated 15 Sept. 1806, in Book C, fol. 294, signed by Ralph Clench, deputy registrar of the county of Lincoln.
Indenture. Three red wax seals, cracked and without impressions.
Jones, John and Jane
The following composed and executed for amusement by Joseph Ely. Manuscript consists of six different poems, all titled "Poetical Thoughts".
The writer of this journal was a woman. In the spring of 1829 she travelled to Cornwall and Kingston. Later on she went to the United States. She arrived in Liverpool on 22 Sept. 1830 and returned to her home, near to Glasgow, Scotland.
Indice. Tumulto de Madrid del anno 1766 .... Instruccion a Principes an malos Jesuitas.
Spanish and Portuguese manuscript bound in vellum. Notation on spine almost illegible but appears to read "PAPEL NARROS". 342 unnumbered pages. The first approx. half of the ms. is in Spanish. It concerns the 1766 riots in Madrid and consists of sections in various hands. The second section, ("Instruccaõ a Principes, sobre a Politica dos Padres Jesuittas") a translation from Italian into Portuguese, consists of instructions to rulers against the Jesuits, apparently in a single hand, dated Lisbon, 1760. The manuscript is in fragile condition: some leaves have become detached from the spine.
Extrait des ouvrages des meilleurs auteurs français [Extract from the works of the best French authors]. Passages from the following authors are included: François-Joachim de Pierre de Bernis, Pierre Corneille, Jean de La Fontaine, Claude-Joseph Dorat, Stanislas de Boufflers, Jean-Baptiste Rousseau, Nicolas Chamfort, Jean Racine, and Voltaire.
There is an advertisement for a paper maker in Paris pasted into the front cover of the book.
The latest date in the manuscript is a work of Voltaire's from 1747, so it is assumed to have been written in the later half of the 18th Century. The identity of the copyist is unknown.
These two leaves from the 1477 edition of Rainier of Pisa's Pantheologia printed by Anton Koberger. These incunabula pages imitate manuscripts with letters added in red and blue, as well as small highlights done to other letters. There is some evidence of illumination or planned drollery in the margin of one page.
The manuscript is bound in with a number of printed sermons. There are two if not three different hands, one for the title page at the beginning of the volume, one for the title of the manuscript section, and a third for the body of the manuscript.
A copy of the Franklin B. Hough edition of the journals of Major Robert Rogers, edited and with additional material by Walter Frederic Beattie. The Hough edition of this book was published in Albany, N.Y., by J. Munsell's in 1883.
A manuscript page from The Higgler by A.E. Coppard. On the other side appears is an unidentified typescript.
This is a typescript of Copland's The Teacher: Nadia Boulanger.
Bound manuscript in several different hands. Many leaves have been left blank. Title stamped on spine: "Mss. Account Book". The first four leaves are different in appearance and out of chronological order. They presumably were added at the time of binding.
An abstract of Locke's Essay Concerning Human Understanding.
An assessment for the necessary relief of the poor, & for the other purposes relating to the poor, for the parish of Box, made and assessed the 21st day of October 1764 as follows.
The collection consists of two manuscripts bound together in same volume. Stamped on spine:
Andrew Lang. Last Ms. The two manuscripts are described as follows:
Books and Bookmen. 14 July [1911 or 1912], 15 p. New introduction for Books and Bookmen, 1912.
Religio Loci. 8 Ap[ril 1910 or 1911], 61 p. Contribution to Votiva Tabella. St. Andrew's, 1911.
Item consists of six groupings of texts, Fragments A-G, removed from one or more antiphonals and one breviary. These original books likely originated in the vicinity of Catalonia and Aragon, were perhaps associated with the Franciscan or Dominican orders, and were probably produced during the sixteenth to early seventeenth centuries. The fragmentary nature, haphazard selection and non-chronological arrangement of the removed texts suggests that, in their current state, they were not arranged for liturgical use.
The scribal hands are in Gothic textura rotunda. Fragments A, D, and F, in which the letterforms are less rounded and more vertical than in the other fragments, come from a single codex, with the same hand and illumination style. One portion of text in Fragment C has been erased, with the same text rewritten over it in a later hand, dating to the eighteenth century. The quality of lettering varies between fragments. There are several illuminated or historiated initials, but in general the scribal and illumination work is often simple, rough or incomplete, especially in Fragments B and C.
The covers consist of contemporary wooden boards covered with deteriorated leather, fitted for five cords. Nothing remains of the spine, but remnants of the cords and traverse spine linings are extant. A metal clasp hinge remains on the front cover at the centre of the foreedge, and a wooden boss is nailed to the back cover in the same spot.
Folio format. The fragments are generally disbound and were likely not ever bound to the present covers. There are remnants of an original seven-cord binding on the spine edge of many gatherings, and wear on the leaves is also inconsistent with the present boards, which might have been employed more as an unattached protective case than as a binding proper. Fragments B and C are affixed to each other by an adhesive at the spine, as are Fragments E and F. A group of leaves, from part-way through Fragment B to the end of Fragment C, have been bound more recently at the upper margin with metal wire. Ink has transferred from portions of text on the first leaf in Fragment A and the last leaf in Fragment F to the front and back covers respectively, and black residue from the covering leather has been deposited on the same leaves, showing that the fragments have been kept in the present arrangement within the unattached boards probably for a considerable time. Some leaves have been cut or otherwise damaged, especially in the leaves bound by the wire, which have a cut from the spine edge inward into the text. The fragments have not been foliated as a single item, but, for the purposes of this finding aid, they have been treated as such [fols. 1-14, 15-38]. Fol. 9 is detached, and fol. 15 is at present completely lacking.
Manuscript document issued by the Governor of the state of Maranhão in Brasil, José Thomas de Menezes. The document concerns the Portuguese in England. It is written on one leaf of paper, folded in half; the text covers 3 pages.
Fonds consists of Archibald Macdonald's journal. It takes the form of a bound manuscript, 363 pages in length, many of the pages left blank. Stamped on spine is "Macdonald Journal". The first entry is 7 February 1805 written in London, England. The last entry is 6 December 1839. Text runs from p. 1 to p. 117. At that point some pages have been cut from the journal. Page 358 contains an index to the contents of pp. 1-71. There is also text on pp. 357, 361-3. Journal is written either with different hands or one hand that varied greatly over time.