Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
4 audio discs.
1 man's tie.
2 oversize posters.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Scope and content
The collection consists of various items relating to Labour history.
- Tie has drawing of a man in chains with the caption: Repeal Taft Hartley Law.
- Three audio discs were produced for the Canada Department of Labour by the National Film Board of Canada. Their titles are: Technical and Vocational - - -Training in Canada, Unemployment Insurance in Canada, Labour Management in a Changing World. They are for use with filmstrips which are not extant. One audio disc was issued by the Canada Department of Labour. Its title is: Better Together, Main dans La Main.
- B&w group photograph of Ontario Independent Labour Convention, 1922.
- B&w (15) and col. (8) photographs, col. slides (9) of an unidentifed strike relating to Branch 551. One sign reads "Fuddle Duddle Trudeau"; mimeographed material re a strike at Firestone Tire and Rubber Company in 1962.
- "Working Men's Association Tracts, The People Charter, 1848"
- Letter from the Ancient Order of United Workmen (A.O.U.W.) Grand Lodge of Ontario, 27 October 1897.
- Two oversize photographs of employees taken in front of a factory, possibly the B. Greening Wire Co. Ltd. in Hamilton, Ont.
Second accrual: Three photographs (50-2008): Men, horses and a wagon outside a mine, ca. 1910; Delegates to the Ontario Provincial Conference of Typographical Unions, St. Thomas, Ontario, 26 May 1914; Workers in front of Taylor-Forbes Ltd., a radiator foundry, Guelph, Ont., March 1938.
Third accrual (77-2009): poster re strike of International Beverage Dispensers and Bartenders Union, Local 289, Toronto; poster on board for "Labour Council of Metro Toronto and York Region, 1871-1996"; one membership card, 1937.
Fourth accrual (11-2010): St. John's Allied Printers' Union, Evening Telegram strike, 1979, two printed documents, "Don't Scab" and "Boycott the Telegram"
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers are also directed to the following. There are audio cassettes in Audio collection that pertain to Canadian labour history; labour pamphlets described in the Pamphlet collection, trade union materials in the Canadian Liberation fonds, and labour periodicals in Archives and Research Collections periodical collection.
See also the following fonds and collections:
Amalgamated Transit Workers, Local 107
Bricklayers and Masons Union. Local 1
Canadian railway labour negotiation
Canadian Union of Public Employees. Area Office.
Canadian Union of Public Employees. Local 5. Also other locals.
Hamilton and District Labour Council
International Association of Machinists. Local 414
International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. Local 105
International Pressman's Union Assistants. Local 176
International Union of Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers. Canadian District
International Union of Painters and Allied Trades. Local 205; Local 1795; Local 1824
Iron Molder's Union of North America. Local 26. Local 28.
Services Employees International Union
Edward E. Seymour
United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers. Local 504/544
United Glass and Ceramic Workers of North America
United Mine Workers of America. Local 13083
United Packinghouse Workers of America
United Rubber, Cork, Linoleum and Plastic Workers of America. Local 113
United Steel Workers of America. District 6.
United Steel Workers of America. Local 1005. Also many other locals.