Affichage de 226 résultats

Notice d'autorité

19th Battalion (Central, Ontario), Canadian Expeditionary Force

  • RC0835
  • Collectivité
  • 1914-1920

The battalion was originally raised at Exhibition Park in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on 6 November 1914. As part of the 4th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Canadian Division, the 19th went from its station in Toronto, Canada, to West Sandling Camp, Shorncliffe, England, 23 May 1915. It disembarked in France on 15 September 1915, where it fought as part of the 4th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war and disbanded on 15 September 1920. It is perpetuated by The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's).

Air Raid Precautionary, City of Westminster Engineer (ARP)

  • RC0284
  • Collectivité
  • 1936-

In August 1936, the Home Office of the British Government directed every municipality in Britain to develop an Air Raid Precautionary (ARP) programme, primarily to establish and maintain air raid shelters for the local population in the event of war. The Westminster City Council (WCC) in London instructed the Westminster City Engineer’s Office forthwith to begin programme responsibilities including the following: in 1937 and early 1938 to establish criteria and policy relevant to ARP activities, and develop voluntary cooperation with local commercial businesses; in 1938 and 1939 to survey the basements of all residential and commercial buildings within the Westminster City boundaries for their suitability or potential modification as shelters; to supervise the modification of basements to provide basement shelters in commercial buildings, and to provide ongoing maintenance, signage and hours of opening; to decide upon criteria for requisitioning or decommissioning a shelter, and to supervise all inspections of such shelters, also to undertake ARP matters not directly related to shelters, but of engineering concern.

During World War II the Engineer’s Office was damaged by enemy action in March 1940, and the office was moved from Alhambra House to Fanum House until September 1945. The City Engineer’s Office was responsible for furnishing, staffing, modification and operation of the temporary headquarters. Formal decommissioning of air raid shelters began on 30 May 1945, but matters concerning the former shelters routinely reached the office until the mid-1950s. With the commencement of the Cold War, the City Engineer’s Office also was prepared to redo the survey of basements. A few completed forms from this survey are extant, reaching into the 1960s.

Amalgamated Transit Union

  • RC0029
  • Collectivité
  • 1899-

Division 107 of the Amalgamated Association of Street Railway and Motor Coach Employees of America was established in Hamilton, Ont. on 9 April 1899 and signed its first agreement with the Hamilton Street Railway Company in June 1900. In 1957 the union began to represent workers at Canada Coach Lines Ltd. as well. Employees of the Public Service Commission of Galt, Ontario (later re-named Cambridge, Ont.) were added in 1962. In 1964 the union's name was changed to the Amalgamated Transit Workers. Mississauga Transit system workers joined the local in 1970.

American Can (Simcoe, Ont.)

  • RC0180
  • Collectivité

In 1983 the workers at American Can in Simcoe, Ont. voted to join the United Steel Workers of America. Previously they had belonged to the Can Workers' Federal Unions (a directly chartered Canadian Labour Congress Union) as Local 535. In 1986 the company name was changed to Onex Packing Inc.

Ancaster (Ont.) Ministerial Association

  • RC0255
  • Collectivité
  • 1964-

The Ancaster Ministerial Association is a voluntary organization with its membership drawn from ministers serving the Christian churches of Ancaster. The first meeting of the re-organized association was held on 10 March 1964. The association has been active in planning joint services, making political statements, issuing advertising, and providing programming and studies.

Anglican Church of Canada, Diocese of Niagara

  • RC0408
  • Collectivité
  • 1875-

The Diocese of Niagara was founded in 1875. The diocese covers approximately 3,320 square miles in the province of Ontario. The most northern towns are Harriston and Mount Forest, to the west, Nanticoke, to the south, Fort Erie, and to the west Oakville. The diocese presently consists of the following archdeaconries: Wellington, Trafalgar, Wentworth-Haldimand, Hamilton, Lincoln, and Brock. These archdeaconries are further subdivided into deaneries: Wellington, Wentworth, Halton West, Trafalgar, Haldimand, Barton, Hamilton Central, Lincoln East, Lincoln West, Welland, and Niagara Falls.

There have been three histories written. Firstly, A. H. Young, "The Diocese of Niagara Before 1875," Canadian Journal of Religious Thought (Jan.-Feb. 1926) which covers the period before the Diocese of Niagara was created from the existing Diocese of Toronto in 1875. Secondly, History of the Diocese of Niagara to 1950 published by the Diocese in 1950 to mark its 75th Anniversary. There is a copy in Mills Library, general stacks, BX5612.N5A5, and a photocopy at the reference desk in Research Collections Reading Room. Thirdly, there is Some Men and Some Controversies, (1974) edited by Richard Ruggle, which contains a collection of essays, some dealing with the early history of the Niagara Diocese. It has not been catalogued; available in Research Collections Reading Room. Finally Parish Register A contains a history of the diocese up to 1925 in two volumes.

Archivo General de Centro América (Guatemala)

  • RC0831
  • Collectivité
  • 1846-

The Archivo General de Centro America (General Archive of Central America) was founded in Guatemala City, Guatemala to hold the government records of this region. These records outline the conquest and governance of Central America by Guatemala and its provinces: Chiapas, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. The archive in Guatemala contained records which were deteriorating from the effects of moisture and insects. In 1970, at the urging of Dr. John Browning, then Associate Professor of Spanish at McMaster University, University Librarian William Ready, along with Business Manager Arthur Lawrence visited Guatemala. A contract was signed allowing the archives to be microfilmed for scholarly studies. This microfilming, done by McMaster University, was supplemented by microfilming done by the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints at an earlier date. In 2005 UMI/ProQuest made high-quality microfilm reproductions of the fonds.

Beatty Brothers Limited

  • RC0357
  • Collectivité
  • 1874-1969

Beatty Brothers Limited was established in Fergus, Ontario in 1874 by George and Matthew Beatty. In its earliest years the company was primarily a family business involved in the manufacture of farm equipment. At the Toronto Industrial Exhibition in 1879, the company was awarded a bronze medal for engineering excellence. During the same period the two brothers also purchased the Grindley farm implement factory with water power on the Grand River. It manufactured reapers, mowers, straw cutters, land rollers, single and gang plows, and even stoves and cast-iron kitchen utensils.

From the turn of the century to 1961, the company continued to expand. Other companies were purchased: the James Provan Company of Oshawa, Whitman and Barnes of St. Catharines, Cameron and Dunn of Strathroy, Tolton Brothers of Guelph, Emerson and Campbell of Tweed, Wortman and Ward of London, Ont., etc. By 1928 the Beatty product line spanned more than 600 items. Factories in Fergus and London, Ontario employed 600 people, and a further 800 people were employed in Great Britain. There were branches and stores across Canada; by 1939 there were also stores in Australia and New Zealand.

In May 1961 the Beatty family sold their shares to Ralph M. Barford, Robert A. Stevens, and George Gardiner. In 1969 the company amalgamated with General Steel Wares to form GSW Limited.

Boievoi Karandash

  • RC0787
  • Collectivité
  • 1939-

Boievoi Karandash (The Militant Pencil) is an organization in Moscow that sells Soviet art in poster form. The posters were intended to satirize Soviet bureaucracy. The publisher of the posters is Khudozhnik RSFSR, and the series is Na Obcshii sud.

Book Society of Canada Ltd.

  • RC0878
  • Collectivité

The Book Society of Canada Ltd. was incorporated on 29 May 1945. Its founding president was John C.W. Irwin (1900-71) who worked from 1927 to 1929 as Assistant Manager of the Educational Department of the Macmillan Company of Canada Limited. In 1930 he and his brother-in-law, W.H. Clarke, began Clarke, Irwin & Company Limited. Together they developed and managed the publishing company of Clarke Irwin along with the Canadian branch of the Oxford University Press (from 1936 onwards). Irwin left Clarke Irwin in 1944 to form The Book Society. The latter was a school textbook publishing company. In the 1960s The Book Society published approximately a dozen books per year, many of which were approved by various departments of education across Canada. The founder's son, John W. Irwin, left teaching in 1960, joined the firm, and worked in various capacities of the company. He became President of the firm in 1971. In 1973 The Book Society acquired an educational publishing firm, Bellhaven House Limited (see boxes 56, file 14, and 59, file 1 for authors' contracts and questionnaires), and in 1982, a trade firm, Peter Martin Associates Limited. When Clarke Irwin went into receivership, The Book Society acquired its assets in June 1983. Clarke Irwin was maintained by The Book Society for a short period as a separate entity and reconstituted under the name, Clarke Irwin (1983) Inc. In 1984 The Book Society was renamed as Irwin Publishing Inc. At that time two-thirds of the company's business was in the area of educational publishing and the remainder in trade. The total business sales were {dollar}3 million, 5% of which came from foreign rights revenue.

Bradley-Garretson Company Limited

  • RC0750
  • Collectivité
  • 1879-1920

The Bradley-Garretson Company Limited originated in Philadephia, and was involved in subscription book publishing. The Canadian branch was established in Brantford in 1876 by D.R. Wilson. Some time before 1879, Thomas Samuel Linscott, who was born in Devonshire, England in 1846 and had emigrated to America for health reasons, became the company's manager. Ordained in 1875 as a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church, Linscott retired from the ministry in 1879 and bought the Canadian interests of the company.

Based in Toronto and Brantford, Ontario, Bradley-Garretson ("The Book and Bible House") published books between 1879 and 1920. According to Warner and Beer's History of Brant County (1883), it employed at Brantford "from fifteen to twenty" clerks and assistants, using "all the modern appliances" and appointed "over one thousand agents" in 1882. The company was not officially incorporated until 1895, by which time Linscott's son, Thomas Henry Linscott, had become the main owner. In 1896 the company opened the Toronto office at 155 Bay Street. (A related operation, Linscott Publishing Co., was established in 1897). Many of Bradley-Garretson's publications were religious in nature, although the company also issued books related to politics and the domestic sciences. Several imprints of the company are life and work anthologies written about individuals such as Sir John Thompson, Dwight L. Moody and Rev. Charles Spurgeon.


  • RC0526
  • Collectivité

Bricklayers and Masons Union, Local 1

  • RC0330
  • Collectivité
  • 1881-

Local 1 received its charter on 27 June 1881 from the National Union of Bricklayers and Masons of America. This was reported in the Hamilton Spectator, "Bricklayers and Masons", 8 July 1881. Local 1 was the first local to be chartered in Canada. Over the years the union has evolved. Local 1 is currently chartered by both the International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craft Workers and the Bricklayers and Allied Craft Workers of Canada.

Bridge and Tank Company of Canada.

  • RC0178
  • Collectivité

Members of Local 2537 are employees of Bridge and Tank Company of Canada--Hamilton Bridge Division.

British Commonwealth Air Training Program

  • RC0493
  • Collectivité
  • 1939-1944

The British Commonwealth Air Training Plan was an ambitious program to train air crew members in Canada for the Allied war effort. An agreement by Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand on 17 December 1939 set up the program. In addition to those nations, Norwegians, Belgians, Dutch, Czechs and the Free French were trained.

Canada Company

  • RC0620
  • Collectivité
  • 1826-1953

The Canada Company was a British land development company incorporated in 1826 to aid in the colonization of Upper Canada. The company surveyed and subdivided the land, built roads, mills, and schools, and advertised it to buyers in Europe. The company assisted in the migration of new settlers to the area on their ships. The company was dissolved on December 18, 1953.


  • Collectivité

Trenton Air Station was the hub of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan in Canada during World War II.


  • RC0491
  • Collectivité

Canadian Army. Canadian Expeditionary Force (Siberia)

  • RC0580
  • Collectivité
  • 1918-1919

Authorized on 12 August 1918, the Canadian Siberian Expeditionary Force was composed of 4,000 soldiers that were sent to Russia to combat the Bolshevik menace. The soldiers were selected from the headquarters staff, “B” Squadron RNWMP, 85th Battery CFA, 16th Field Company CE, 6th Signal Company, 259th and 260th Infantry Battalions, 20th Machine Gun Company, No. 1 Company Divisional Train, No. 16 Field Ambulance, No. 11 Stationary Hospital, and No. 9 Ordnance Detachment. The Commander was Major-General J.H. Elmsley. Most of the soldiers were stationed in Vladivostock. They returned home to Canada in the summer of 1919 without engaging in any hostilities.

Résultats 1 à 20 sur 226