Home

Collection RC0621 - Russell Motor Car Co. Ltd. collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Russell Motor Car Co. Ltd. collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

RC0621

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1911-1918 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

10 items

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Russell Motor Car Company (1911-[195-?])

Administrative history

The Russell Motor Car Company was incorporated in 1911 in Canada with its head office in West Toronto. The company’s name had been the Canada Cycle & Motor Co. Ltd. Cars had been built since 1905 at the Weston Road Works, Toronto, when the first Model A was produced. Thomas Alexander Russell was the General Manager and he named the car after himself. By 1908 the Russell had become a luxury car. In 1913 trouble came in the form of an engine valve that created service problems. The car-making part of the company was sold to the Willys-Overland Company of Toledo, Ohio in 1915. In 1918 the company operated a machine-shop in Weston as well as a farm.

Custodial history

Scope and content

There have been two accruals. The first accrual consists of documents pertaining to the sale of the company. They are: the Report of the Annual Meeting on 28 October 1915 – with sections on bicycles, accessories and skates, motor cars, Canadian military, and the sale of the business in Australia. It includes a balance sheet from 15 July 1915. There are two letters from Arthur E. Watts, County Clerk and Solicitor, Brantford, Ontario, to Donald E. Bridgman of Minneapolis, Minnesota with regard to his stock held in the company. There is a telegram sent by F.F. Henry in Buffalo, New York to Fred G. Atkinson re the sale of the company. Finally there is a five sheet document typed on paper from The Bradstreet Company outlining the history of the company and its sale in December 1915. The second accrual consists of a request for payment letter with invoice dated 1911; an Automobile Accessories Catalogue issued by the company in 1912; and a pamphlet "Soldier-Citizens, Something of the work carried on by the Russell Motor Car Ltd." Written by Catharine Beverley Robertson the illustrated pamphlet outlines the re-retraining of disabled soldiers and was published in 1918.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The first accrual (35-2010) was purchased from Alexander Books in 2010. The second accrual (11-2010) was acquired from Morris Norman in 2010.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no access restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are not expected.

Other notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Control area

Description record identifier

RC0621

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places