Home

Arquivo RC0127 - Copp Clark Company fonds

Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade

Título próprio

Copp Clark Company fonds

Designação geral do material

Título paralelo

Outra informação do título

Título e menções de responsabilidade

Notas ao título

Nível de descrição

Arquivo

Código de referência

RC0127

Zona de edição

Menção de edição

Menção de responsabilidade da edição

Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais

Menção da escala (cartográfica)

Menção da projecção (cartográfica)

Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)

Menção da escala (arquitectura)

Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)

Zona de datas de criação

Data(s)

  • 1856-1993 (Produção)

Zona de descrição física

Descrição física

10.8 m of textual records and graphic material
29 photographs.

Zona dos editores das publicações

Título próprio do recurso continuado

Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor

Outra informação do título das publicações do editor

Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo

Numeração das publicações do editor

Nota sobre as publicações do editor

Zona da descrição do arquivo

Nome do produtor

Copp Clark Company (1841-)

História administrativa

The Copp Clark Company is best known as a Canadian educational publisher, with forays into board games and greeting cards. The history of Copp Clark Company can be traced back to 1841, when Hugh Scobie, a Scotsman opened a book and stationery store on King Street East in Toronto. In 1847 he produced the first edition of the Canadian Almanac and Directory, published annually thereafter. After Scobie’s death, the firm changed hands and names several times until 1869 when two employees, William Copp and Henry Clark, gained control, eventually giving the company the name of The Copp Clark Company Limited.

By the early 1900s, Copp Clark had evolved into a major educational publisher of textbooks, primarily in language arts and mathematics. As well as producing books and stationery items, the company established its own typesetting, printing and binding operations, branching out into games and greeting card manufacturing. In 1900 the company moved to a new office and warehouse on Front Street in Toronto, but the building was destroyed by fire in 1904. Copp Clark acted as agents for many American and British publishers and published works by such notable authors as Sir Winston Churchill, G.K. Chesterton, Joseph Conrad, Rudyard Kipling and Edith Wharton.

In 1965 the business was bought by Pitman Publishing, and the name was changed to Copp Clark Pitman. Copp Clark Pitman was affiliated with Longman (owned by Pearson P.L.C.), which purchased the press in 1985. Copp Clark Pitman celebrated its 150th anniversary in 1991. In June 1998, Copp Clark Professional, the only remaining division of Copp Clark, closed its office on Front St. in Toronto. Copp Clark Professional is currently located in Mississauga, Ont., and is a leading publisher of financial calendars.

História custodial

Âmbito e conteúdo

Researchers should note that the fonds is fragmentary and incomplete, focusing primarily on the business side of the company’s activities.

Zona das notas

Condição física

Fonte imediata de aquisição

The fonds was acquired from Copp Clark Professional in 1998.

Organização

Fonds (13-1998) is arranged into 14 series: Historical; Board of Directors; Management Committee; Financial and Personnel; Service contracts; Property; Government; Publishers, agencies and subsidiaries; Royalty; Permissions & editorial; Publications -- books and other; Other companies; Miscellaneous and Framed items. The Royalty series is arranged into the following sub-series: author contracts; textbook contracts; royalty ledger and games; stationery & novelties contracts. Other companies series is arranged into the following sub-series: Canada Games & Copp Clark games; Cooperative Book Centre of Canada Ltd.; Hunter Rose and Mirror Offset; Sir Isaac Pitman & Sons Ltd. Fonds also contains six framed items.

Idioma do material

Script do material

Localização de originais

In June 1998, a major donation of Copp Clark imprints (post 1880) was received by the National Library. The company’s nineteenth-century publications were donated to the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library at the University of Toronto in 1989.

Disponibilidade de outros formatos

Restrições de acesso

There are no access restrictions.

Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação

Instrumentos de descrição

Materiais associados

Materiais relacionados

Ingressos adicionais

Further accruals are not expected.

Outras notas

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Zona do número normalizado

Número normalizado

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Zona do controlo

Descrição do identificador do registo

RC0127

Identificador da instituição

Regras ou convenções

Estatuto

Nível de detalhe

Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação

Idioma da descrição

Script da descrição

Fontes

Zona da incorporação

Assuntos relacionados

Pessoas e organizações relacionadas

Locais relacionados