Home

Fonds RC0127 - Copp Clark Company fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Copp Clark Company fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

RC0127

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1856-1993 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

10.8 m of textual records and graphic material
29 photographs.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Copp Clark Company (1841-)

Administrative history

The Copp Clark Company is best known as a Canadian educational publisher, with forays into board games and greeting cards. The history of Copp Clark Company can be traced back to 1841, when Hugh Scobie, a Scotsman opened a book and stationery store on King Street East in Toronto. In 1847 he produced the first edition of the Canadian Almanac and Directory, published annually thereafter. After Scobie’s death, the firm changed hands and names several times until 1869 when two employees, William Copp and Henry Clark, gained control, eventually giving the company the name of The Copp Clark Company Limited.

By the early 1900s, Copp Clark had evolved into a major educational publisher of textbooks, primarily in language arts and mathematics. As well as producing books and stationery items, the company established its own typesetting, printing and binding operations, branching out into games and greeting card manufacturing. In 1900 the company moved to a new office and warehouse on Front Street in Toronto, but the building was destroyed by fire in 1904. Copp Clark acted as agents for many American and British publishers and published works by such notable authors as Sir Winston Churchill, G.K. Chesterton, Joseph Conrad, Rudyard Kipling and Edith Wharton.

In 1965 the business was bought by Pitman Publishing, and the name was changed to Copp Clark Pitman. Copp Clark Pitman was affiliated with Longman (owned by Pearson P.L.C.), which purchased the press in 1985. Copp Clark Pitman celebrated its 150th anniversary in 1991. In June 1998, Copp Clark Professional, the only remaining division of Copp Clark, closed its office on Front St. in Toronto. Copp Clark Professional is currently located in Mississauga, Ont., and is a leading publisher of financial calendars.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Researchers should note that the fonds is fragmentary and incomplete, focusing primarily on the business side of the company’s activities.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The fonds was acquired from Copp Clark Professional in 1998.

Arrangement

Fonds (13-1998) is arranged into 14 series: Historical; Board of Directors; Management Committee; Financial and Personnel; Service contracts; Property; Government; Publishers, agencies and subsidiaries; Royalty; Permissions & editorial; Publications -- books and other; Other companies; Miscellaneous and Framed items. The Royalty series is arranged into the following sub-series: author contracts; textbook contracts; royalty ledger and games; stationery & novelties contracts. Other companies series is arranged into the following sub-series: Canada Games & Copp Clark games; Cooperative Book Centre of Canada Ltd.; Hunter Rose and Mirror Offset; Sir Isaac Pitman & Sons Ltd. Fonds also contains six framed items.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

In June 1998, a major donation of Copp Clark imprints (post 1880) was received by the National Library. The company’s nineteenth-century publications were donated to the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library at the University of Toronto in 1989.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no access restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are not expected.

Other notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Control area

Description record identifier

RC0127

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places